The succession of seasons, exposure to polluted air, harmful gases or contact with allergens can sometimes rhyme with respiratory and skin infections.
One of the main respiratory infections to which man is subject, is the bronchitis which presents as an inflammation of the bronchi; while theskin infection the most frequent is eczema.
How do these infections manifest? What are the origins? Can we overcome it with plants ?
Infections and Phytotherapy: what should you know?
Bronchial infection: BRONCHITIS
Know this respiratory infection well
Bronchitis is a very common disease that can affect any human being at least once in their life.
It comes in two forms:
- the acute bronchitis of viral origin which usually occurs after the flu or a badly treated cold,
- the chronic bronchitis, which is triggered following long-term exposure to harmful gases (tobacco, pollution, etc.).
Symptoms of bronchitis
Whether it is one or the other form of bronchitis, their symptoms are very often similar although there are specificities to each.
The most common are:
- a fatty cough that produces mucus that may vary in color from white to yellow-gray, or a greenish color.
- shortness of breath accompanied by wheezing
- chest pain, fatigue and fever.
What plants to relieve yourself?
Although there are remedies to cure bronchitis, many plants whose virtues are no longer to be demonstrated are still unknown to the populations. These include:
- Theeucalyptus for internal use as infusion, or external in friction.
Indeed theEssential oil (eucalyptol) in the leaves about 80%, significantly reduces coughing and sputum.
It is recommended to steep 2-3g of dried leaves in 150ml of boiling water and drink 2 cups a day.
For external use, just add 15 to 20 drops of essential oil to 25 ml of vegetable oil and rub the chest 3 times a day.
- The softening effect of licorice acts on the bronchi. In decoction or in infusion, the dried roots of licorice release a substance (glycyrrhizin) that significantly reduces pain.
- Thehyssop, it is an expectorant plant that the subject will take in the form of tisane or from syrup.
- The virtues of climbing ivy are appreciable during the breathing of the subject. Indeed, 1 tsp. of the dried leaves in 150 ml of boiling water for 10 minutes at a rate of 3 cups a day, increases the air in the lungs and reduces excess coughing.
- The thyme associated with the root of primrose reduces the duration of the cough.
To take in form infusion.
Common skin infection: ECZEMA
Definition of Eczema
Whether of exogenous or endogenous origin, eczema is a disease of the skin that we often meet.
People suffering fromeczema live in 'hell' on a daily basis due to
many itching, redness and irritations to which they are subject.
Origins of eczema:
The origins of eczema are twofold:
- exogenous, that is, through direct contact with an allergen (nickel, rubber, perfume or methylisothiazolinone, a preservative frequently used in household products and cosmetics).
- or endogenous. This type of eczema called atopic eczema is linked to food or respiratory allergens. People prone to eczema should avoid exposure to cold or wearing woolen clothing, as this skin disease may worsen.
How does eczema manifest itself?
The main ones symptoms eczema are itching, redness, small pimples and scabs on the skin, resulting in a grainy appearance of the skin.
Plants to overcome eczema, it is possible!
- Thanks to their anti-inflammatory properties, the evening primrose, and the calendula
will act on the skin and reduce its grainy appearance.
- The chamomile will play the same role to which will be added that of a fabric softener
- The borage, oats have emollient and anti-itching properties.
They will significantly reduce the itching.
- As for theAlmond, and at Shea Butter, people prone to eczema who use them will see their skin heal smoothly.
What dosage for effective results?
All these plants are to be used by external channel :
- in massage for borage, sweet almond, shea butter, and evening primrose,
- in decoction added to the bath water for the oats,
- in cream or in soaked compress to apply to the affected area for chamomile and calendula
At the same time, the borage and the evening primrose can also be used by internal way.
It will suffice for the patient to take capsules of borage oil or evening primrose oil 1 to 2 times a day before meals to benefit from their virtues.
Good to know about infections
The plants certainly have virtues, but it is strongly recommended to take the opinion of your doctor or a specialist for effective and lasting results.