The raspberry is easy to grow and offers an abundant harvest.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Rubus idaeus
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Shrub fruit tree
Height : 1 to 2 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary
Foliage : Obsolete
Flowering : May to October depending on the type
Harvest : June to October, depending on varieties
- Health: benefits and virtues of raspberries
Planting, training, maintenance and pruning will allow you to have beautiful raspberries.
Whether at bare roots or in jar / container, it is better to plant it raspberryin autumn to promote rooting, recovery and therefore fruiting the following year.
But you can also plant your raspberry tree until spring, avoiding periods of frost.
- Raspberries need sun to grow raspberries
- It likes rather rich soils, a contribution of compost or amendment is recommended when planting
- Allow a distance of approximately 80 cm between each foot
- Do not bury the foot too much
- Water generously after planting and then regularly for the 1st year
- Check out our planting advice shrubs.
Trellis the raspberry tree
Raspberry cultivation can quickly become invasive if allowed to grow without containing it.
This is done what is called a training, which allows to control the growth, size and to have a better harvest.
Raspberry trellising on the row:
Here is a good way to promote growth of your raspberry andensure production beautiful raspberries.
The method consists of to plant in line and to stretch wire, 40 then 80 cm high.
Create 2 rows of wires, on either side of the row of raspberries, about 60 cm apart
The raspberries can then grow between these 2 rows of threads
This method improves fruiting, production and harvest.
Raspberry pruning and maintenance
Easy to grow and maintain, the raspberry tree nevertheless requires some care to produce well.
It is necessary remove excess suckers throughout the year.
There are 2 types of raspberries:
> Non-rising raspberry :
These are the raspberries that produce only once on the wood from the previous year, usually in early summer.
=> Cut back to ground level, at the end of summer, the stems that have produced fruit during the year.
=> Keep 6 to 8 young shoots from the year and then train them for the following year.
> Raspberry picking up:
These are the raspberries that produce several times a year, usually in spring and summer.
=> Cut the end of the stems that have produced fruit at the end of winter (see video below)
Raspberry, not very productive:
If your raspberries are less and less productive over the years, this is normal, and there is a solution to fix it.
- At the end of winter, dig up the stump and divide the root ball
- Divide the old feet, keeping only the healthiest, vigorous shards
- Transplant these chips into loose, light and enriched soil (fertilizer or potting soil)
- Water regularly
>> Raspberry pruning advice in video >>
Raspberries deserve to be treated with a fungicide like Bordeaux mixture to protect them against gray rot on fruits (botrytis), or against sting blight.
This type of treatment must be carried out at the time of flowering and renewed 15 days later.
- The aphids : the raspberry leaves curl and lose their original color.
- Theraspberry worm: Good spacing between plants, a supply of fertilizer in the spring and good training are generally sufficient to contain pest attacks.
There are two types of raspberries.
"Malling Promise" : excellent table fruit but does not support transport well. It is vigorous and succeeds more easily on non-calcareous soils.
- "Malling Exploit" : large red fruits, grows everywhere except in a too dry climate.
- "Golden Queen" : old variety, sensitive to botrytis (harmful fungus), produces white fruits in July.
- "Amber" : light golden yellow fruits (birds don't like them, they are more attracted to the color red). Quite spiny plant.
- "Meco" : variety created by INRA, produced for five weeks.
- "Zeva" : not very thorny, large, firm and tasty fruits, quickly rises in rich soil. No need to train it.
- "September" : tangy flavor, gives a second harvest almost as important as the first. It is satisfied with all soils, even heavy ones.
- "Autumn Bliss" : large early fruits.
- " Heritage " : firm and sweet fruits, resistant to freezing, come back vigorously in September.
- "Yellow" : sweet and sweet golden fruits, well resistant to diseases.
Old varieties of raspberries:
- " White wood " : variety from Haute-Savoie, very aromatic, uplifting.
- "Lloyd George" : produced especially at the beginning of the season, sometimes classified as a pick-me-up, sometimes a non-pick-up.
There are hybrids of raspberries and blackberries that offer the firmness of blackberry and the scent of raspberry: "Loganberry", "Tayberry" and "Boysenberry" which gives nice big blackberries as juicy as raspberries.
- Health: benefits and virtues of raspberries
Warning to raspberry worm ! Treat in spring with an insecticide that can be used in organic farming.