The currant tree, also called raisinet, offers wonderful little currants during the summer.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Ribes grossularia
Family : Grossulariaceae
Type : fruit tree
Height : 100 to 150 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : Spring -Harvest : Summer
- Health: benefits and virtues of redcurrant
Planting, pruning and maintenance are all things that will improve the harvest of currants.
It is recommended to plant the currant at fall or until spring avoiding periods of frost.
If you crash in spring, take care ofwater more generously during the first few months as your shrub will need it more to take root during the summer months.
- In hedge, respect a distance of 150 cm between each foot.
- Prefer situations rather sunny but not hot because this is fatal to the currants.
- the currant tolerates partial shade.
In all cases, choose a rich soil and don't hesitate to make an amendment to the ground when planting.
- The gooseberry likes well-drained soils.
- Adding manure, organic amendment or compost is a real plus when planting.
- This step is important, consult our planting tips.
Care and pruning of the currant
Once properly installed, maintaining the currant plant is relatively easy.
Cut the currant well:
The best time to prune a red currant or grape is towards the end of winter, ideally in February-March. The weather should be rather mild and dry, without risk of frost.
The size can be quite severe :
- First ventilate the center of the shrub, as the light entering it is crucial.
Remove any tangled branches.
Balance the rest of the tree to give it a nice goblet shape.
- Finally, remove the oldest wood, we are talking about stems that are more than 3 years old and that are not very productive.
Watering the currant:
The gooseberry has need water to grow well.
It is therefore appropriate towater regularly and put a mulching at the base of the shrub to retain moisture in the soil during the summer.
Fertilizer and gooseberry:
If it is not essential, the addition of a small fruit tree fertilizer will significantly improve the quality and quantity of currants.
>> How to prune a currant tree in video >>
Gooseberry is quite disease resistant overall, especially if you choose resistant varieties.
Preventive treatment with Bordeaux mixture at the end of winter also helps prevent many fungi.
- Powdery mildew: white felting on all or part of the plant and in particular on the leaves.
- Rust : orange brown pustules under the leaves
- Aphids : the leaves curl up and lose their original color
- Cochineals: Organic control and treatment
The harvest of currants is done between June and August according to varieties and species.
The worst enemy of gooseberries are birds which can destroy a crop, which is why we must protect the currants with a net.
We can expect between 2 and 5 kg per plant and the picking is done fully matured in order to have quality fruit.
Know that fruits that are inside of your currant will take longer to ripen and can be picked later.
All you need to know about the currant tree
This well-known shrub is cultivates very easily.
It is particularly appreciated for its fruits which delight our taste buds, as well as for the clafoutis, jams or "jellies" of our breakfasts.
Watch out for him leave room to thrive by planting it in a ventilated and relatively cool place.
Thanks to its bushy effect and the translucent red color of its fruits, it has a very beautiful appearance and finds its place very well in a garden.
Treat if needed againstpowdery mildew or theanthracnose but be careful to only use organic products because you will then eat the fruits ...
> Health: benefits and virtues of redcurrant